Monday, March 26, 2012

Coriander Chicken


Bombay Pantry…
My first introduction to Indian cuisine was aged 12 when my sister & I spent a holiday with our uncle in Geneva where he worked for the World Health Organisation. A colleague of his invited us to dinner & I clearly remember my senses being assailed by the pungent aromas that greeted us as we entered their apartment. The hostess issued an excited caution as I reached for what I now know to be Bombay Mix “hot, hot, very hot” & was openly surprised that I did not flinch as the chilli & spices went to work on my taste buds. I had my mother’s heart broke when we returned home from the vacation with my persistent demands for curry! … JJ

Ingredients & Costing…





Chicken Fillets x 2 (free range)
3.99
Spanish Onion x 1 finely sliced
0.10
Fat Clove of Garlic x 2 (crushed)
0.10
Greek Natural Yoghurt x 125ml
0.25
Ground Coriander x 2 tsp
0.05
Mixed Spice x 1 tsp
0.05
Turmeric x ½ tsp
0.05
Dried Chilli Flakes x ½ tsp
0.05
Tepid Water x 125ml
0.00
Ground Almonds x 25gm
0.25
Hard Boiled Eggs x 2 (free range)
0.48
Maldon Sea Salt
0.05
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
0.05
Ground Nut Oil to Fry
0.10




2 Hearty Portions
€5.57

It Couldn’t be easier…
æ      Dice the chicken fillets & marinade together with the crushed garlic & natural yoghurt for a minimum of 4 hours
æ      Heat the oil in a heavy based pan & fry the sliced onion until golden, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon & keep to one side
æ      Add the coriander, mixed spice, turmeric & a generous grinding of black pepper to the pan frying for 15-20 seconds to release the aromatic flavours, stir in the chicken & any excess marinade, increase the heat & fry until chicken is browned
æ      Returned the fried onion to the pan together with dried chilli flakes, tepid water & a pinch of salt, stirring well to ensure all ingredients are combined. Bring to the boil then allow to simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is tender
æ      Finally stir in the ground almonds, check the seasoning & serve garnished with slices of hard boiled egg & a sprinkle of paprika

Loaves & Fishes…
Planning our weekly menu I had purchased ingredients to make this dish for two people, however a last minute invitation to some friends turned our evening into a dinner party for four. After a moment of panic we decided to serve the Coriander Chicken with Pilau Rice, Tarka Dhal/Spiced Lentils, Naan Bread, Mango Chutney & Bombay Mix turning our simple meal into a feast only short of a miracle … JJ





2 comments:

  1. I made the Coriander Chicken for tonight's dinner, so tasty, really enjoyed it and it isn't something I'd usually even attempt to cook! Thanks for sharing :) Sinead

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to try something new - I am going to attempt Paella for the first time sometime soon, wish me luck :-))

    ReplyDelete