Saturday, February 18, 2012

Banana & Walnut Bread

Energy Boost…
Banana & walnut bread always reminds me of white water kayaking on chilly winter Sunday’s back in the 80’s, religiously I would arrive armed with my “picnic” of homemade soup & banana bread which I tucked into when I came off the water. All was well until one particularly frosty Sunday…. I placed the cup of steaming soup on my kayak while I wrestled with my almost frozen wetsuit only turning around in time to see the soup slide off the kayak onto my clean dry clothes…. I was not impressed JJ


Ingredients & Costing…





Wholemeal Flour x 300gm
0.27
Baking Powder x 2 level tsp
0.05
Maldon Sea Salt x 1 pinch
0.05
Butter x 100gm
0.48
Barbados Dark Sugar x 100gm
0.18
Honey x 150gm
0.75
Walnuts x 75gm
0.70
Egg x 2 large (free range)
0.48
Bananas x 4 ripe
0.99








10 Generous Slices
€3.95






It Couldn’t be easier…
æ      Sift together the wholemeal flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl
æ      In a heavy based saucepan over a low heat melt together the butter, Barbados dark sugar & honey
æ      Chop the walnuts, beat the eggs & mash the bananas
æ      Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the melted butter mixture & mix thoroughly
æ      Stir in the chopped walnuts, beaten egg & mashed bananas
æ      Pour the mixture into a lined greased 2lb loaf tin
æ      Bake on the centre shelf of a pre heated oven (gas mark 4) for 1 hour until golden brown & set. Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving


Double Trouble…
You can enjoy the banana bread as a healthy snack or if you would like to indulge a little my daughter recommends that you top it with a caramelised fried banana, crème fraiche & a drizzle of maple syrup… JJ

1 comment:

  1. I cannot allow myself to make this.... as my sister makes a really fab version and has been known to share it with me! ......it looks so good.... well maybe on the QT..... ssssshhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete