Monday, February 6, 2012

Smoked Fish Pie

More Comfort Food…
When temperatures are hovering around zero degrees there is nothing to warm the cockles of your heart like a fish pie. I have been shopping in ALDI recently and have found their fresh fish fillets to be good value – I often allow the price to determine my choice, I have used smoked coley for this recipe but it is equally tasty made with fresh salmon or cod.


Ingredients & Costing…



Smoked Coley Fillets x 2
1.99
Eggs Hardboiled x 2
0.48
Frozen Garden Peas x 1gm
0.05
Potato x 4 medium
0.35
Butter x 20gm
0.30
Flour x 10gm
0.05
Milk x 750ml
0.52
Seafood Stock Cube x 1
0.15
Dried Mustard Powder x 1 tsp
0.05
Maldon Sea Salt
0.05
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
0.05
Dried Parsley x 1 tsp (optional)
0.05




3-4 Hearty Servings
€4.09





It Couldn’t be easier…
æ      Heat milk in a saucepan together with smoked coley simmering gently for 5 minutes. Remove poached fish with a slotted spoon & flake into a medium sized oven proof dish
æ      Chop the hardboiled eggs into quarters & add together with the garden peas
æ      In a clean saucepan melt half the butter adding flour, dried mustard powder & crumbled stock cube to make a roux. Slowly add the milk reserved from poaching the fish, simmering gently until the sauce thickens
æ      Peel & dice the potatoes. Place in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil, reduce heat & simmer until cooked. Remove from heat & drain excess liquid
æ      Mash potatoes together with butter & cream, seasoning well with salt & pepper
æ      Pour the white sauce over the fish & mix gently
æ      Pipe the mashed potato over the mixture & dot with a few small pieces of butter
æ      Heat for 30 minutes in a preheated oven (gas mark 5) until golden brown & bubbling…

Pennywise Tip…
As I mentioned I have been shopping in ALDI recently, each week they have a selection of fruit & vegetables on special which range in price from 44 cent to less than 1 euro. Selecting from the options available I allow them to decide my “soup of the week” & I often tweak my other menu choice’s to make the most of the discounts resulting in significant savings… JJ

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of a dish my Mum used to make! Smoked cod in a large saucepan with some chopped onion, milk and a packet of white sauce and some seasoning, served with boiled potaoes!Yum! Happy days xx

    ReplyDelete